Happy New Year and big thanks to such an incredible online community of poets, writers, and supporters! I started actively posting and promoting this poetry blog in October 2014, and have seen a constant increase in traffic, likes, and followers. I've met some amazing and talented people along the way.
My blog really started out as an experiment, to just share the things I've learned in the last year or so as I began actively submitted my poems and other writing to different markets. It does seem there is a need for clear, concise, and quick ways to stay updated on calls for submissions, contests, writing tips, especially those with a focus on poetry. I'd love to hear from my readers if they have suggestions for information I can share or other resources they find helpful in their quest to publish poetry.
Click here to leave a comment below and join the conversation.
Click here to comment on Facebook and leave a review of my blog.
Below are some stats for this last year, including:
- My submission stats
- Reviews published (of or by me)
- My awards
- Conferences and workshops
- Other notable publications/projects
My submission stats
Here are my personal submissions stats for 2019, which I track in Duotrope. Many of the poems I sent out were sent to multiple markets as simultaneous submissions. My acceptance rate dropped some from last year, since I started challenging myself and sending to tougher markets with lower acceptance rates. Some of the poems published this year were actually submitted last year.
Total Manuscripts Submitted: 15 (14/15 same manuscript to 15 markets)
Total Poems Submitted: 177 (total count, not unique poems)
Total Poems Accepted: 12
Total Poems Published: 15 (includes reprints)
Total Books Published: 1
Reviews published (of or by me)
- "Review: Footnote, by Trish Hopkinson" - by Eileen Murphy via Tinderbox Poetry Journal
- 100 Best Websites for Writers in 2019 via The Write Life
- Top 100 Poetry Blogs & Websites via Feedspot
- Poetry Super Highway poetry contest – 5th place for my poem “South Side”
- Utah State Poetry Society Awards, April 2019
- 1st Place for poetry in the Ann C. Larson Memorial Category for "My Unconscious Son"
- 2nd Place in the Celebrating a Small Town Childhood Category for "Route 6"
- 3rd Place in the Daniel Seth Morrise Awards Category for "family folklore"
- 1st Honorable Mention in the Word Weavers Award Category for "Ask for Ice Cream"
- 3rd Honorable Mention in the Long Poem Category for "Back to Life"
- Honorable Mention in the Wild Card Category for " The Hospital Bed Floats"
- Reading with Rock Canyon Poets at Lithic Bookstore & Gallery, Nov. 2 in Fruita, CO
- Feature literary performer at the Utah Arts Festival, June 2019, Salt Lake City, UT
- City Art Reading Series, SLC Downtown Library, feature reading with Bonnie Shiffler-Olsen, May 1, 2019
- Utah Poetry Festival, reading with Utah State Poetry Society, Westminster College, April 2019
- READ LOCAL Onsite reading series feature poet, Finch Lane Gallery, April 11, 2019. Click here to listen to a podcast of the event!
- Featured poet reading, K-2 Gallery, Helper, UT April 4, 2019
- AWP Conference and Book Fair, book signing at Lithic Press booth, March 30, 2019
- Radioactive feature reading with Tacey Atsitty and Poetry Happens on KRCL 90.9 FM, March 6, 2019
Conferences and workshops
- Conference session presenter - IWWG Big Apple Weekend - The Writer's Arc - from Page to Publication, session presenter: "Where and How to Submit Your Poetry," Oct. 26, 2019
- Attended the Cliff Notes Writing Conference in Boulder, UT, Oct. 3 – 6, 2019 (featuring presentations and readings by Robert Hass and David Lee)
- Finding the Writer Within session presenter - "Submit Your Writing Like a Pro" Aug. 2019
- Utah Poetry Festival, “Poetry Outreach” panelist, Westminster College, April 27, 2019
- Utah State Poetry Society Festival, “Poet to Poet Conversation” panelist, April 12, 2019
- Attended Wychwood Writers Workshop online in April 2019 for “Gathering a Poem” with Lisa Young
- Attended AWP Conference and Book Fair in Portland, OR in March 2019
Other notable publications/projects
- Accepted as a mentee for the AWP: Writer to Writer Mentorship Program, Fall 2019
- Utah Arts Festival - Literary Arts program, Big Mouth stage, & WordFest coordinator, June 20 – 23, 2019
- Poetry Happens curator for KRCL 90.9 RadioACTive community affairs program, first Wednesday of every month
- Judge for The Bee storytelling competition, Salt Lake City, UT, May 6, 2019
- Was interviewed 2 times (click here to read my interviews)
- Interviewed 69 lit mags/journals for submission call posts
- Published the fifth volume of Orogeny for my poetry group Rock Canyon Poets
- Published the fifth volume of Inspired from my local community poetry workshop funded by Utah Humanities
- Administered the second annual Provo Poetry POEMBALL Contest
- Hosted Rock Canyon Poets monthly open mics poetry readings at Pioneer Book
- Hosted Rock Canyon Poets monthly members workshops at Pioneer Book
My blog stats
My blog hit 14,000 followers last month with nearly 260,000 views for 2019! That's almost 10,000 more views than last year. Here's a quick comparison of previous years to this year. I published 151 posts in 2019.
(as of May 2016) 1,000
|Blog Post Likes (on WordPress)||
Comments (on WordPress)
|Click-throughs to other sites||
|Most popular post||15 international lit mags seeking English submissions||Looking for a local poetry group or event?||Need a word association generator?||14 NO FEE Chapbook Publishers and other Chapbook Listings||Need a word association generator?|