Happy New Year and big thanks to such an incredible online community of poets, writers, and supporters! I started actively posting and promoting this poetry blog in October 2014, and have seen a constant increase in traffic, likes, and followers. I've met some amazing and talented people along the way.
My blog really started out as an experiment, to just share the things I've learned in the last year or so as I began actively submitted my poems and other writing to different markets. It does seem there is a need for clear, concise, and quick ways to stay updated on calls for submissions, contests, writing tips, especially those with a focus on poetry. I'd love to hear from my readers if they have suggestions for information I can share or other resources they find helpful in their quest to publish poetry.
Below are some stats for this last year:
My submission stats
Here are my personal submissions stats for 2017, which I track in Duotrope. Many of the poems I sent out were sent to multiple markets as simultaneous submissions. My acceptance rate dropped some from last year, since I started challenging myself and sending to tougher markets with lower acceptance rates. Some of the poems published this year were actually submitted last year.
Total Poems Submitted: 475 (total count, not unique poems)
Total Poems Accepted: 15 (includes reprints)
Total Poems Published: 21 (includes reprints)
Chapbooks Published: Footnote published by Lithic Press
- Open Bard feature poet at The Sherbino in Ridgway, CO, November 2, 2017
- Rock Canyon Poets workshop and reading at Lithic Bookstore & Gallery in Fruita, CO, October 14, 2017
- Footnote Book Launch at Lithic Bookstore & Gallery in Fruita, CO, reading with Luis Lopez, July 20, 2017
- Utah Arts Fest poetry reading at Library Square in Salt Lake City, UT with the Rock Canyon Poets, June 23, 2017
- Speak for Yourself Open Mic at Enliten Bakery & Café in Provo, UT poetry workshop and feature reading for Footnote release, July 13, 2017
- Nuclear Impact poetry reading at Ken Sanders Books in Salt Lake City, UT, April 29, 2017
- Radioactive KRCL 90.9 FM on air reading in Salt Lake City, UT, April 6, 2017
Other Notable Publications/Projects
- Published 2 poetry book/lit mag reviews (click here to read my reviews)
- Was interviewed 7 times (click here to read my interviews)
- Interviewed 62 lit mags/journals for submission call posts (that's up from only 25 last year!)
- Published the third volume of Orogeny for my poetry group Rock Canyon Poets
- Published the third volume of Inspired from my local community poetry workshop funded by Utah Humanities
- Hosted Rock Canyon Poets monthly open mics poetry readings at Pioneer Book
- Hosted Rock Canyon Poets monthly members workshops at Pioneer Book
My blog stats
My blog just hit 10,000 followers with over 233,000 views for 2017! That's 33,000 more views than last year. Here's a quick comparison of previous years to this year.
|Total Followers||(as of May 2016) 1,000||6,770||10,073|
|Blog Post Likes (on WordPress)||1,135||2,497||3,957|
|Comments (on WordPress)||422||837||811|
|Click-throughs to other sites||83,212||158,343||156,174|
|Most popular post||15 international lit mags seeking English submissions||Looking for a local poetry group or event?||Need a word association generator?|