Regardless of whether or not you have acquired a formal education that included poetry, poetry exercises and workshops with other poets can be invaluable in finding new approaches, discovering new poets, and honing your craft. Below is a list of poetry workshops that are free online. If you don't mind some monetary investment, there are some fine paid workshops ($150 – $350) online as well--generally small class sizes that run several weeks with lots of personal feedback and instruction. I'll mention my favorites here: The Poetry Barn, Wychwood Writers Workshop, and The Loft all have excellent instructors and I've enjoyed and learned so much from the courses I've taken.
Free Online Poetry Classes/Workshops
- Poetry: How to Write Poems by The Crafty Writer's Creative Writing Course
- ModPo offers an online class
- Coursera offers several MOOC (massive open online courses) on poetry
- Skillshare has a few video courses as well, including this amazing one by Hanif Abdurraqib
- Yale provides a couple of open courses, including one on Modern Poetry and one on Milton. You just download all the course materials.
- Open Learn has several poetry courses
- MIT provides several through their MIT Open Courseware program
- How to Make a Poem is a recurring course on Future Learn
- mslexia provides three Poetry writing workshops you can work through at your leisure
- Albany Poetry Workshop's online classroom provides a five-session and seven-session workshop, as well as guest teacher's writing exercises