Happy New Year and big thanks to such an incredible online community of poets, writers, and supporters! I started actively posting and promoting my web site in October 2014, and have seen a constant increase in traffic, likes, and followers. I’ve met some amazing and talented people along the way.
This site really started out as an experiment, to just share the things I learn and research when I originally began actively submitting my poems and other writing to different markets. It does seem there is a need for clear, concise, and quick ways to stay updated on calls for submissions, contests, writing tips, especially those with a focus on poetry. I’d love to hear from my readers if they have suggestions for information I can share or other resources they find helpful in their quest to publish poetry. Leave a comment below to join the conversation or click here to comment on Facebook and leave a review of my site.
Below are some stats for this last year, including:
- My submission stats
- Reviews published (of or by me)
- My awards
- Conferences and workshops
- Other notable publications/projects
My submission stats
Here are my personal submissions stats for 2020, which I track in Duotrope. Many of the poems I sent out were sent to multiple markets as simultaneous submissions. My acceptance rate dropped some from last year, since I started challenging myself and sending to tougher markets with lower acceptance rates. Some of the poems published this year were actually submitted last year.
Total Manuscripts Submitted: 15 (2 microchaps, 1 chapbook, 1 full-length sent to 15 different markets)
Total Poems Submitted: 176 (total count, not unique poems)
Total Poems Accepted: 7 poems, 1 microchap
Total Poems Published: 9 (includes reprints)
Total Books Published: 1 microchap
Reviews/Interviews published (of or by me)
- The (Not So) Selfish Poet: Talking Feminism and Community with Trish Hopkinson via OyeDrum by Alex Graffeo
- Poetry Podcast Assiduous Dust #4: Trish Hopkinson + Rick Lupert with Joshua Corwin
- My review of The Truth Is by Avery M. Guess published in Diode, June 2020
- @trishhopkinsonpoet: Trish Hopkinson interviewed by Courtney Cook published in On Loan From the Cosmos, May 2020
- Short-form Shout Out: ALMOST FAMOUS Trish Hopkinson via The Maynard, March 2020
- Finalist in the Two Sylvias Press Chapbook Prize for Bone Music, Sept. 2020. (1 of 15 finalists).
- Finalist in the Kallisto Gaia Press’ Contemporary Poetry Chapbook Prize for Bone Music, March 2020. (1 of 25 finalists).
- 100 Best Websites for Writers in 2020 via The Write Life, January 2020.
- Utah State Poetry Society Awards, April 2020: 2nd place in the C.T. Wiseman Memorial category for “My husband and I contemplate tree removal”; Honorable mention in the Long Poem category for “Trauma I, Bike vs. Car”; 1st honorable mention in the Shoot for the Loot category for “Couples Therapy: Duncan Yo-yo Speaks to its String”; 1st honorable mention in the Zara Sabin Memorial category for “Ode to My Mess,” April 2020.
- November 10, 2020, Tuesday at 7:00 pm – Virtual Event – Inspired: Virtual Anthology Launch & Poetry Open Mic with Rock Canyon Poets, hosted by Trish Hopkinson, Editor-in-Chief
- Wednesday Night Poetry: October 7, 2020: “Offspring”
- Wednesday Night Poetry: August 26, 2020: “Things to Tell My Daughter”
- Wednesday Night Poetry: August 12, 2020: “On the Rim of Depoe Bay”
- Wednesday Night Poetry: August 6, 2020: “Selfies as a Broad-tailed Hummingbird”
- Wednesday Night Poetry: July 15, 2020: “She-God”
- Wednesday Night Poetry: April, 8, 2020: “Poem to Pluto’s Heart”
- Wednesday Night Poetry: March 25, 2020: “Letter to Covid-19.”
- Salt Lake City Art: March 24, 2020: “Earthquake//Corona”
- KRCL RadioACTive: January 1, 2020 airing: “Scale of Life,” and “Ode to a Young Screech Owl”
Conferences and workshops
- AWP Conference, March 4 – 7, 2020 – San Antonio, TX
- Thursday, 11am – 3pm, conference check-in volunteer
- Friday, 11am – 12pm, AWP Writer to Writer Bookfair Booth
- Saturday, 7 – 9pm at Cherrity Bar “The End Will Not be Sugared: Contemporary Apocalypse Poetry” poetry reading
- Rock Canyon Poets 5th Anniversary and Orogeny volume 5 release party, Pioneer Book, January 14, 2020 – Provo, UT
- IWWG Webinar, session presenter, “Submit Your Writing Like a Pro,” January 12, 2020 – online webinar
Other notable publications/projects
- Poetry STILL Happens curator for KRCL 90.9 RadioACTive community affairs program features
- Interviewed 103 lit mags/journals for submission call posts
- Published the fifth volume of Orogeny for my poetry group Rock Canyon Poets
- Published the sixth volume of Inspired from my local community poetry workshop funded by Utah Humanities
- Administered the second annual Provo Poetry POEMBALL Contest
- Hosted Rock Canyon Poets monthly open mics poetry readings at Pioneer Book
- Hosted Rock Canyon Poets monthly members workshops at Pioneer Book
My blog stats
My blog hit 17,000 followers last month that’s over 3,000 more followers gained in 2020. Here’s a quick comparison of previous years to this year. I published 213 posts in 2020.
|Total Followers||(as of May 2016) 1,000||6,770||10,073||12,164||14,437||17,288|
|Blog Post Likes (on WordPress)||1,135||2,497||3,957||2,797||1,894||1,566|
|Comments (on WordPress)||422||837||811||499||340||413|
|Click-throughs to other sites||83,212||158,343||156,174||164,110||157,488||514,177|
|Most popular post||15 international lit mags seeking English submissions||Looking for a local poetry group or event?||Need a word association generator?||14 NO FEE Chapbook Publishers and other Chapbook Listings||Need a word association generator?||10 Free online poetry classes/workshops|
If you like this post, please share with your writerly friends and/or follow me on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram. You can see all the FREE resources my site offers poets/writers on my Start Here page.